Ever been in a groove of healthy eating habits when suddenly you look up and you’re veering off track?
A snack-size Snickers here, a couple of Red Vines there. A bit more wine won’t hurt.
Maybe you’ve gained back a few pounds. Or halted your progress.
And if this happens you may tell yourself that you deserve a treat now and then.
Or that sticking to your plan is boring. That life is meant to be lived and not have to worry about eating healthy all the time.
WARNING! This is self-sabotage in action!
It starts out innocent sounding. Very believable. Because it’s partly true: you deserve a treat and shouldn’t have to be bored with, or worry about, what you eat all the time.
But these partial truths cover up the lie:
- A treat does NOT mean eating or drinking in excess, or mindlessly snacking on foods you really don’t want or need.
- Making choices based on the health and body you want is NOT boring.
- Worrying about food is NOT the same thing as being intentional with healthy eating habits.
These insidious lies take hold and if you don’t catch them, soon you’re back to old habits. Your weight gained back. And beating the crap out of yourself.
All because you believed the lie.
So if you notice your healthy eating habits slipping, pay attention. Why are you making different choices than when you were on plan and making progress? How will you recommit and refocus? What will you learn from this experience to prevent it – or catch it earlier – next time?
Here are some ways to keep yourself on track:
- Remind yourself of the outcome you want from eating healthfully, and why it really matters.
- Focus on all the great foods you “get” to eat.
- Count every single healthy choice as a win.
- Don’t believe the lies.
- Hire a coach.
To be a healthy hottie requires vigilance. Just like anything of importance.
And, you’re worth it.